There are a lot of temptations for people trying to lose weight or maintaining a fit body. But you don’t have to starve yourself just to avoid adding some extra pounds. There are a lot of healthy foods you can eat when you get that craving. Healthy low calorie foods can help fill your stomach without adding fat. Before taking in some of these foods, you can try drinking some water. Sometimes, people mistake dehydration for hunger. Anyway, here are the top ten foods with low calories:
1. Filling grains. 100% whole grains like oatmeal and brown rice help you get that sensation of being full. Oats have filling fibre that balances blood sugar levels. That is better than sugar-filled breakfast. You can cook these whole oats using milk so that your breakfast will be packed with fibre, water and protein. That will help you avoid overeating in the later parts of the day.
2. Black rice. You may have tried white rice and brown rice, but have you ever heard of black rice. This is a not-so-popular type of rice filled with antioxidants and fibre. It also has lesser carbohydrates and calories compared to white rice and brown rice.
3. Calorie-burning vegetables. Broccoli has 25 calories and it needs 80 to digest it. Do the math; it means broccoli helps you burn 55 calories when you eat it. Besides broccoli, you can also try celery, cauliflower, asparagus, and zucchini.
4. Watermelon. Your plate should be colourful with water and fibre for lesser calorie. Having watermelon in your plate would give you sweets but with only less than 100 calories. It is also filled with vitamin C.
5. Beans. If you are conscious about your weight, especially your waistline, your meal must include beans. Beans are rich in fibre, nutrients, antioxidants, and complex cards. You can have your beans in your stew, soup, salads, wraps etc. You can try black-eyed peas, black beans, fava beans, lentis, legiums, chickpeas, etc.
6. Soup. Broth-based soup can help people take in fewer calories during mealtime. If you are eating in a restaurant, consume some of that broth-based soup first. Make sure it has those vegetables that are filled with fibre, to avoid eating more carbs.
7. Milk. Taking in some low-fat milk or fat-free milk on a regular basis can help you stay fit and stay satisfied. It would also be great to consume this type of dairy product right after you work out for its protein and calcium benefits.
8. Green drinks. Green drinks are filled with vitamins and minerals. It has fill-full fibre with only a small amount of calories. You can try the green smoothie which has only 14-calories. This drink has spinach, collard, kale and mustard. You can also try the unsweetened green tea, which is a great antioxidant.
9. Mushrooms. Small mushrooms only have 2 calories in each. You can eat a whole bunch of mushrooms to get full. This is also a great antioxidant.
10. Shrimp. This seafood has low calorie, but is filled with protein. It is also rich in vitamin D and selenium.
These are just some of the top and most popular low-calorie foods out there and there are plenty more. Some other foods which have low calories include star fruit, cabbage, cauliflower, tomato, flounder, strawberry etc. Find out more about what to eat in our F9 Nutrition plan.