High Potency Liquid Extract
Ingredients per 100 ml
Silybum marianum (Milk Thistle 1:1 extract) 100 g/100 ml
Silybum marianum is a short annual plant grown in dry rocky soils in Europe and the USA. The whole plant may be harvested for medicinal purpose. Traditionally, milk thistle is employed for two purposes:
(1) Promoting the health of the liver in healthy and weakened states.
(2) Promoting the production of milk in nursing mothers.
The primary active ingredient in milk thistle is known as silymarin. Silymarin is one of the most powerful liver protecting substances known. Mechanisms of its action are:
– Acts as a liver anti-oxidant. In the liver cell, silymarin is ten times more potent than vitamin E.
– Elevates the detoxification substance content of the liver cells. It has been demonstrated that milk thistle can protect the liver against the ingestion of the deadly Death Cap mushroom poisons
– Stabilizes the cell membranes by preventing any disruption of its lipid bi-layers.
Additionally, silymarin stimulates new protein synthesis for new cell generation. This process provides a restorative effect on the liver. Along the biliary tree, silymarin enhances bile flow. It reduces the cholesterol content of the bile, thus limiting potential gallstone formation.
Milk thistle has been used extensively in Europe and shown to possess very low toxicity. Truly, this is an herb with efficacy for promoting and maintaining liver health.
Suggested dose for adults: 1 teaspoon in water or juice daily. Shake well before use. Refrigerate after opening.