High Potency Capsules
Ingredients per capsule
Milk Thistle Standardized Extract (80% Silymarin) 250 mg
Milk Thistle Seed 250 mg
Suggested dose for adults: Take 1 capsule 2-3 times daily or as directed by your health care
Caution: If pregnant or breastfeeding consult your health care practitioner prior to use.
Silybum marianum is a short annual plant grown in dry rocky soils in Europe and the USA. The whole plant may be harvested for medicinal purpose. Traditionally, milk thistle is employed for two purposes:
(1) Promoting the health of the liver in healthy and weakened states.
(2) Promoting the production of milk in nursing mothers.
The primary active ingredient in milk thistle is known as silymarin. Silymarin is one of the most powerful liver protecting substances known. Mechanisms of its action are:
– Acts as a liver anti-oxidant. In the liver cell, silymarin is ten times more potent than vitamin E.
– Elevates the detoxification substance content of the liver cells. It has been demonstrated that milk thistle can protect the liver against the ingestion of the deadly Death Cap mushroom poisons
– Stabilizes the cell membranes by preventing any disruption of its lipid bi-layers.
Additionally, silymarin stimulates new protein synthesis for new cell generation. This process provides a restorative effect on the liver. Along the biliary tree, silymarin enhances bile flow. It reduces the cholesterol content of the bile, thus limiting potential gallstone formation.
Milk thistle has been used extensively in Europe and shown to possess very low toxicity. Truly, this is an herb with efficacy for promoting and maintaining liver health.
The use of herbs is a time honored approach to strengthening the body and treating disease. Herbs, however, can trigger side effects and can interact with other herbs, supplements, or medications. For these reasons, you should take herbs with care, under the supervision of a health care practitioner.